Online Webinar Sessions: April 20-22, 2021
Due to COVID-19, the 2021 Subsurface Wastewater Operator School will be taught as
three, full-day online webinar sessions, including a virtual field day.
Attendance is required for all sessions.
We continue to work with local and state health officials, as well as NC State and NC A&T State Universities, to monitor the evolving COVID-19 pandemic. Please know that training schedule changes are intended to protect the health and safety of our community while striving to provide the resources and services you need. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and act consistently with local, state and national recommendations.
Proper operation and maintenance are key to assuring the longevity of onsite systems. This training school was developed to teach individuals how to provide quality service to owners of advanced onsite systems. Article 3 of 90A of the North Carolina General Statutes and the state wastewater rules require some wastewater treatment systems such as existing large subsurface disposal systems, newly permitted or repaired small onsite low pressure pipe (LPP) systems, drip irrigation systems, pressure-dosed sand filter systems, and peat biofilter systems to be operated by certified subsurface system operators. These requirements significantly increase the need for subsurface operator training and preparation for the examination for certification as a subsurface system operator.
Operator vs Installer/Inspector
The Subsurface Wastewater Operator School is an entirely separate certification program from the Onsite Wastewater Contractor (Installer/Inspector) certification. If you are unsure which certification you need, please contact us before registering.
Registration is open. Click Here
April 20-22, 2021 Online Webinars
Examinations for certification as a Subsurface Wastewater System Operator are administered by the staff of the Water Pollution Control System Operators Certification Commission (WPCSOCC) on a quarterly basis at five locations throughout North Carolina. Application for the certification examination is a separate process from registration for the training school and must be made directly to the WPCSOCC. Completion of the training school is a prerequisite for the certification examination. However, there are other eligibility requirements that must be met in order to sit for the examination. The examination application and fee must be submitted directly to the WPCSOCC 30 days prior to the desired examination date.
Application for Examination
For an application to become a certified Subsurface Wastewater System Operator or for further information concerning the examination, please check the WPCSOCC website, write, or call:
The first exam date following the school will be June 17, 2021. (Application deadline is May 18, 2021.)
Hardware and Internet Requirements
1. Students must have a valid email address and be able to click an emailed course link to access the sessions each day.
2. Students must have a laptop or tablet with built-in camera and speakers. WPCSOCC requires that we are able to see the faces of all the attendees throughout each session.
3. You are not allowed to turn off your device camera. Students are allowed to step away from the camera briefly for phone calls or other interruptions (similar to stepping out of a traditional classroom as needed). However, we are required to record the minutes you are absent in order to verify 80% attendance at the conclusion of the course.
4. A built-in mic is useful for asking questions, but students may also use the chat feature to ask questions by text.
5. Students will need an internet connection with at least 5Mb upload speed. You can quickly check your internet upload speed from this website: speedtest.net