Online Webinar Sessions: April 13-15, 2021
Due to COVID-19, the 2021 Land Application School will be taught as
three, full-day online webinar sessions, including a virtual field day.
Attendance is required for all sessions.
Please feel free to contact us with questions or concerns.
We continue to work with local and state health officials, as well as NC State and NC A&T State Universities, to monitor the evolving COVID-19 pandemic. Please know that training schedule changes are intended to protect the health and safety of our community while striving to provide the resources and services you need. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and act consistently with local, state and national recommendations.
All land application facilities that hold a permit from the Division of Water Resources for the land application of sludge, residuals, or contaminated soils (on a designated site) are subject to classification as a land application system. As a classified system, the permit holder is required to designate an Operator in Responsible Charge (ORC) and a Back-up Operator who hold a Land Application/Residuals Operators Certification to be responsible for the operation of the system. The purpose of this training school is to provide the training necessary to properly operate and manage land application programs for residuals and biosolids. The training school is mandatory for all applicants for the examination for certification as Land Application/Residuals Systems Operator, regardless of education or experience.
Registration is open. Click Here
April 13-15, 2021 Online Webinars
Examinations for certification as a Land Application of Residuals System Operator are administered by the staff of the Water Pollution Control System Operators Certification Commission (WPCSOCC) on a quarterly basis at five locations throughout North Carolina. Application for the certification examination is a separate process from registration for the training school and must be made directly to the WPCSOCC. Completion of the training school is a prerequisite for the certification examination. However, there are other eligibility requirements that must be met in order to sit for the examination. The examination application and fee must be submitted directly to the WPCSOCC 30 days prior to the desired examination date.
Application for Examination
For an application to become a certified Land Application of Residuals System Operator or for further information concerning the examination, please check the WPCSOCC website, write, or call:
The tentative first exam dates following the school will be June 10 & 17, 2021. (Application deadline is May 11, 2021.) Finalized exam dates will be issued to exam applicants at the beginning of the exam month.
Hardware and Internet Requirements
1. Students must have a valid email address and be able to click an emailed course link to access the sessions each day.
2. Students must have a laptop or tablet with built-in camera and speakers. WPCSOCC requires that we are able to see the faces of all the attendees throughout each session.
3. You are not allowed to turn off your device camera. Students are allowed to step away from the camera briefly for phone calls or other interruptions (similar to stepping out of a traditional classroom as needed). However, we are required to record the minutes you are absent in order to verify 80% attendance at the conclusion of the course.
4. A built-in mic is useful for asking questions, but students may also use the chat feature to ask questions by text.
5. Students will need an internet connection with at least 5Mb upload speed. You can quickly check your internet upload speed from this website: speedtest.net